12 things that have become more clear to me in recent years, by observing people and events around the world, and knowing difficult people and challenges are like mirrors that can show us where we need spiritual growth.
By Firoozeh Bowden 3/12/2020
1. Love always wins over Fear.
2. How we can recognize when the Ego is talking instead of the Higher self.
3. Destruction and force is easy, but creation and compassion take effort and time.
4. Everyone is doing the best they can from their level of consciousness, do not judge, observe and learn.
5. Take responsibility for your actions, and do not blame others for your mistakes. Do better next time.
6. There is no shame, and it shows strength changing your mind when presented with new evidence.
7. What we need in the long run, is often not what we ask for.
8. Stay informed, alert, but calm and prepared at times of crisis. Listen to facts and science when investigating the truth in anything, and not dogma and superstition you may have picked up in society or from false leaders in the past.
9. Loving everyone doesn’t necessarily mean you approve of their behavior or ideas, or you will not act justly, and defend yourself or others, when they behave badly or act hurtfully.
10. Believe and have faith that all is as it should be.
11. Prayer alone doesn’t achieve anything. Take action, then totally surrender, trust and not be attached to a certain outcome. Something better than you had planed might be happening.
12. When this material world distracts you with everyday challenges, stay connected to the Divine Creator and the Life giving Energy that your soul needs through prayer, Meditation and service to others.
“Love the creatures for the sake of God and not for themselves. You will never become angry or impatient if you love them for the sake of God. Humanity is not perfect. There are imperfections in every human being, and you will always become unhappy if you look toward the people themselves. But if you look toward God, you will love them and be kind to them, for the world of God is the world of perfection and complete mercy. Therefore, do not look at the shortcomings of anybody; see with the sight of forgiveness. The imperfect eye beholds imperfections. The eye that covers faults looks toward the Creator of souls. He created them, trains and provides for them, endows them with capacity and life, sight and hearing; therefore, they are the signs of His grandeur. You must love and be kind to everybody, care for the poor, protect the weak, heal the sick, teach and educate the ignorant.” ― Abdu’l-Baha
“….If we—as communities across the world have in recent days—find ourselves restricted in our movements, let us reach out to those around us to the extent that we can and find ways to assist them; let us use the time to engage in prayer, in reflection on the Word of God, and in meaningful conversations with family members, friends, and neighbors…..”
National Spiritual Assembly
of the Bahá’ís of the United States
Written by Firoozeh Bowden